Built on its specialty in heavy mechanical equipment, the team of RD Energie carries out each year multiple detailed inspections of the critical components of dams. Our engineers can perform inspection of regulation structure, spillways, control structures, turbine intake and draft tube.
Over the years, RD Énergie has developed an inspection methodology to assess and characterize in detail the condition of critical equipment and components of a hydropower or hydroelectric facility. The results of these inspections provide clear information to dam owners about the short-, medium- and long-term rehabilitation work to be done as well as the performance of their maintenance program.
Inspection services include the following:
- First and second phase concrete
- Embedded parts
- Cable hoist, screw hoist, rack and pinion, other type of winch
- Gantry crane, semi-gantry cranes and overhead cranes
- Regulation structure, spillways, turbine intake, draft tube
- Wood logs, steel logs and cofferdams
- Superstructure, towers, bridges, anchorage, expansion joints, shelter
In order to complete the inspection, RD Énergie may take readings such as:
- Verticality and horizontality of embedded parts
- Residual Thicknesses
- Sampling of gearbox oil
- Rotation speed
- Thickness and adhesion of paint
- Measurement of wear on gears and bearings
- Motor amperage measurement
- Measurement of the insulation level of electrical conductors
- Pulley wear measurement
- Measurement of steel cables
We also carry out drone inspections.
Here are a few examples of dam inspections performed by RD Énergie:
Functional tests and evaluation of the lifting load on a tandem rack-and-pinion hoist
Piece by piece inspection of a screw hoist and replacement of parts as required
Inspection of the embedded parts of a spillway
Inspection of an intake embedded parts
Inspection of a rack-and-pinion gantry crane
Inspection of a draft tube of a hydroelectric power plant.
Inspection of the embedded parts of a control structure
Inspection and certification of a floating cofferdam